02 April 2015

That Place Called Sagada


Nestled at the heart of the mountainous regions up north, surrounded by the lush green pines, and blessed with such rich culture and friendly people, certainly, one can’t go wrong with Sagada. Here’s a letter from all of me who loves all of you everything about Sagada.


Dearest Sagada,

I want to take this opportunity to tell you how bitter I’ve become during that February 28 dawn I was trying to get to you. Not really bitter. Just a little sad, that kind of hopeful sad that takes quite a time, say 24 hours. I may have been through a lot. But it's all worth it. You are worth the wait.

To tell you honestly, I cursed you more than the number of times I have done my own laundry this year, as you've denied me with the tiniest comfort there is that night. But then I moved on quickly soon enough.

I could exactly remember how happy I was the moment I set foot to Banaue, on my way to you,. But I was even happier hours later when I finally get to you. Your chilly mountains bathed in unsullied pines covering the slopes were a beauty to be reckoned with. Your air, having a breath of it will always remind me of how good life is. And be grateful always.

I truly enjoyed those topload hours taking pleasure of those 360-degree views of naturely sights while riding those long and winding roads. Finally, that exceptional rush and thrill in my veins, filled me with so much prospect of adventure, even exceeding my expectations.

Thanks also for the comfortable place to stay. So clean, so good (sorry, wrong tagline). It provided me so much peace in the midst of coldness and heartaches (?). 

You've got the best of hearty foods, too. You got some to-die-for line up I so desire for another try. Special mention for etag, of course.

I will forever cherish those lessons off your culture, the beautiful sights you offer, and the incomparable experiences they’ve brought me, all of which were unexpected treasures far more valuable than any material things.

And then the people I built bonds with, lives touched, souls found – all the unexpected encounters made possible through you.

Finally, there you were breaking my heart for the second time as I leave such haven for home, leaving me both happy and sad at the same time. Going through the trip has changed me in more ways than I can count. 

If only I could, I really want to go back to your loving arms and carefreely stroll along those roads again – see if that F. Scott Fitzgerald quote is true – that there are all kinds of love in this world, but never the same love twice.

Love always,
Olivr