05 November 2014

Prelude: Trip to the North


February 28, 2014 | It was three in the morning and nine hours ago, I was more than excited riding that bus to Solano Nueva Vizcaya, anticipating a supposed fruitful ride to the mountainous region up north. Little did I know that a total disaster was fully upswing to no avail while I was enjoying the dusky sights beyond the bus window from that rough spot at the backmost part travelling through that under-constructed N. Vizcaya road. But comes good news: made it safe there around four hours later.


By the time we arrived at around 10 PM, the bad news started to present itself – the next trip to Banaue wont come until dawn. No choice but to endure five hours of being stranded at the middle of the road in the middle of the night. 

We were practically waiting for a bus heading to Banaue with no clue at all. As the night gets darker, the air madly becomes colder, while the last of the night’s stars was starting to slowly fade also. Everyone was savaging over the sweetness of their sleeps, savoring the comfort of their beds, except me who happened to be at that stretch creeping on the midnight shadows, being partied over for by countless mosquitoes. My eyes were involuntarily drooping and falling flat against my bed would precisely be the most logical thing to do but the unfortunate circumstance I stuck myself into hopelessly deprived me of the tiniest coziness there is possible. But for half a heartbeat, I let myself pretend that I will soon get away with all those inconveniences amidst the odds being clearly not on my favor. 

And all things, including such inescapable troubles, do come to an end. After nearly ten long hours of being high and dry around those chaotic roads, the bus finally rose from the shadows.