16 November 2021

Sei Bello, Bergamo!

 

11 November 2021 | Off to another half-marathon after a mediocre finish in Helsinki, I packed my bag, a better pair of running shoes, and headed southward to Ravenna, Italy. Taking advantage of the occasion and maximizing the time & opportunity, I guess it was logical to likewise explore nearby provinces. 


Arrival point was in Bergamo, the second most popular city in Lombardy next to Milan, a mix of the old & new, distinctly characterized and notably identified by its literally higher medieval grounds in Citta Alta where most of the historically relevant tourist destinations are located. On sunny days the place is a picture of vibrance but on weary days it appears as a peaceful site, serenity at the finest. Glad to catch a glimpse of the middle ground with autumn just about to end and the colder months about to begin. The situation gave me an opportunity for a nice round of hike up the hill decoratively walled in massive Venetian defensive systems; these series of photos as hotshot evidence.

There wasn’t enough time for me to explore the city, as this place – for the lack of a better term – was just a stepping stone (for economic and logistics reasons) towards my intended destinations, Milan & Ravenna specifically. But funny how things turn out unexpectedly good, finding interesting sites (& insights) and gaining valuable takeaways. Thinking about it, there are actually a lot of Bergamos in our life, at different junctures, in various circumstances. Looking back at the decisions I had to make, opportunities I had to let go, and the places I have been to before coming to where I am right now, all the lessons (regrets, what-ifs, and mistakes included), were the Bergamos I didn’t plan about or ask for, but essentially rolled the dice and kicked things into motion. Following the same cycle and pattern, living this current life that I never bothered or cared to dream of before, may just be another Bergamo to my Milan. 


But only time could tell. Bergamo might turn out to be not just another stepping stone in the future, after all. Italy's been largely growing in me anyway. Easily my favorite European country so far.