09 November 2014

The Final Stretch to Sagada


Like anyone else, I have my own share of wrong things I did before I am not proud of. Regrets are part of the past which I would want to change, given the chance. But there are certain things I’m a hundred percent sure of being right about – my travels. I get lost, broke, and sick while traveling but won't trade any of it for getting to spend my time the best way possible, collecting the best of memories I could take pride in having lived. 

While feasting my eyes with those enormous pines flanked in those massive mountains under the sun’s glorious flames, I can’t help but drew those insane grins out of those simple things knowing that I am someplace where exactly my heart is. I was all eyes on the road trying to memorize the tiniest details of what seemed to be a sanctuary to me.

I had this childhood dream of setting foot in all the 81 provinces of the Philippines. And the 20th province I set foot to, came sooner than I expected upon seeing the Mt. Province welcome sign. Doing the math, I’m officially (almost) one-fourth away from realizing this dream. Of course, it’s one of those glorious days all over again, even comparable to my first steps when I first walked around the UPLB grounds. 

For a few more moments, I took the liberty of living that dream awake over those green hills covered in refreshing fogs. And the next thing I knew, we were about to leave again to resume with that winding stroll, and do more right things along with it.


The clock read 11:19 am when we finally made it to Bontoc and it’s already sultry all around the place, though the coolness of the air never failed to tug on us as we look for the final lift to Sagada. We have had a long day behind us already and getting there the soonest was the first thing I could ever wish for during those moments. Getting to see the Banaue Rice Terraces was more than enough but more things are still destined to unfold. And indeed, I was able to ride topload for the first time and enjoyed the 360-degree view of those naturely sights along the road leagues away from the polluted city streets I've been used to.

Finally, after an hour, my numbed feet were able to feel the touch of that strange but homely land I deeply dreamed to see for quite some time previously. It was a busy but peaceful village sitting over a highly rich land with an equally rich culture, blessed with pleasant people. The next task we had to do was find a spot to stay. Out of exhaustion, we settled for a relatively pricey place at the Central Sagada area instead of searching for a cheaper one. We finally took a quick late lunch before claiming that soundly sleep we’ve been aching to indulge for since the sun broke.

I was dead tired during those moments but for a while, before I finally lost my senses, I was able to replay in mind the series of unfortunate events we had to face just to be that far. But then I knew I was on the right path. And I won’t trade the whole experience for whatever comfort there is.