03 December 2013

Mt. Romelo & The Buruwisan Falls


While the thrill was still at its peak for my little insane desire to go up on mountains, there came another opportunity to conquer another one―Mt. Romelo of Siniloan Laguna. Three days before the actual climb, I was determined to do a solo climb as a treat for my troubled soul drowned in a mixture of celebration and frustration at that time. But after a week of preparation (physically and emotionally), all my plans were rearranged as a climbmate decided to join me on this Mt. Romelo hike.


Rumors about this mountain’s reputation as being a haven of robbers were known to hikers but the intensity of my longing to get there has totally robbed any fear initially banked in my thoughts despite the ill news about it. The daredevil in me at that time was hyped that the urge to fulfil that mountain desire to climb overpowered the sane part of me that concerns about safety. Amidst the possibility of climbing it alone, I made up my mind to push it through no matter what.

Once again my eyes feasted with countless views of hillsides and even ricefields offering various shades of greens along the way. The clouds, however, were largely threatening as if a storm was on the way. It was indeed a long ride to the jump-off point that despite our early departure from Los Baños, it was almost 12nn already when we arrived at the registration area. The clock had already struck noontime obliging us to eat lunch before the hike even commenced.

There wasn’t much of an interesting story to tell except for the hike’s ultimate attraction which was the Buruwisan Falls. There were other falls under the taking but we chose not to get to those as we thought we’re already behind the schedule to catch the last trip back home. Though unprepared, we took a couple of minutes to go round the waters.