29 April 2016

Matnog on my mind


25 December 2015 | Subic Beach, Matnog


I had along restless road battle prior to this beach moment, thanks to that nearly sleepless Christmas eve. It was almost noontime at the helm when we reached the southernmost tip of Sorsogon, gateway to the famed but humble Matnog. The fact that it was a holiday, it's given that it will be extra hard to find a boat towards the target destination. But good heavens permit, the seeking game didn’t last that long after some negotiations. The boat’s then crawling well to go as it made its way across the Pacific waves.

A staggering happiness was all around the island with the bunch of kids having the time of their lives in their lushest playground when we arrived. It’s nice to see free-spirited humans taking things lightly on such postcard-perfect scene – stunning powdery sand, richly plant-lined beaches lapped by clear turquoise waters, dot.. dot.. dot.. Talk about being away from home, away from the usual routine, the usual rules, and the usual woes. Independence day it is, by the year-end.

The beach wasn’t at its best during this visit; quiet and devastated as it is due to the previous typhoon that hit the province weeks before Christmas – no electricity, thus no ice for sale, therefore no cold beer later that night. Nevertheless, the place was still more lovely than I imagined, that it took me only a heartbeat to fall in love with the well, lovely place. 

It was 2 o’clock right then, and no matter how I wanted to further drench my eyes and myself in the waters, I had to temporarily set everything aside, gain some energy, and embrace that long-coveted sleep for myself, sea-side style.