05 May 2024

German Beer 101

 

While it isn't yet my turn to introduce and boast to friends some of the best stuff Belgium has to offer such as the classic favourite chocolates, signature frites, fluffy waffles, and Belgium’s wide selection of beers (special mention for DéliriumCafé), it was my time to properly get introduced to the German drinking culture. Sure, I’ve been to Düsseldorf and Berlin in the past, but I had practically zero knowledge on those drinks I was consuming.

 


When I think of Cologne (German: Köln, kÅ“ln), I’m always reminded of things olfactory-related. But my recent trip to Köln (I’d prefer it written this way from now on to distract myself from invasive thoughts), will be more remembered now of how I learned about the fundamentals of German beers. All thanks to a good friend (now based in Germany) for educating me about this basic, common knowledge which should come handy especially for someone who finds real joy in consuming European beers during the last 2 years.

 

Germany has a longstanding reputation (hello Octoberfest) when it comes to the art of brewing beer, deeply rooted from and transpiring through every unique taste in every glass. I was told about the existence of a law on restrictions when it comes to the brewing process. Common denominator is that, only water, hops, barley (and yeast, of course) were allowed for use. Indeed, Germans take the craft very seriously, which I think is admirably amazing.

 

First on my list was Köln’s very own Kölsch, presented in distinctive, slim glasses reflecting the city's unique attitude toward brewing. Throughout my 3 days of stay, I also tried pilsner, helles, and dunkel, all beaming with pride in their own duistinct ways. Really, there’s just so much to look forward to in the years to come. All that’s been said, Köln has definitely changed my perception of the whole beer narrative, noting how beer has been a fundamental element of German culture, entwining into the social customs and heritage of this renowned nation.

 


Prost!