12 January 2024

The Hague

 

My last stop for this Christmas 2023 holiday trip was this Dutch city called The Hague (Den Haag, if you may). There were no heavy reasons I came up with this stop aside from: (1) this was Royal Dutch Shell’s headquarters, which I used to dream of visiting as a former Shell employee, and (2) the ongoing ICC thing involving our former president along with his clown of a court, which I really hope would turn out in favor of truth. I did not expect anything out of this travel because I was too tired to think about anything anymore being on the last stretch so to say. Besides, all I wanted was to go home already. But tickets already booked and all, I just opted to go with the initial plan, for practical reasons.


Admittedly, emotions were still a bit heightened after spending Christmas on the road and alone, knowing that I’m missing the Christmas warmth back home. Add to that, I recently failed at something I deem important, which dragged down a lot along with it, read: broken trust, faithless faith, shattered dreams. I know there comes a time in our lives when we fall short of our goals and face disappointments, but my main issue here is on the timing. It was just so unfortunate that it happened last week, hours before I embarked on this trip. Specific details, I can only share over a bottle of beer 🍺 



Anyhow, failures are not the end, but an opportunity for renewal, as optimistic people always say. Embracing failure displays bravery, not weakness; confronting our shortcomings requires strength and the ability to glean lessons from them. So, in the name of the holiday spirit, one of the things that would probably console me for this sadness is justice. Hence, I wish no less than jail time for those scumbags who committed crimes against humanity. Let’s do this ICC!