30 April 2024

My Roman Empire

 

It’s 1:42 AM and I’m still awake, staring at the ceiling like it owes me answers.


Recently, there’s this statue in Maastricht that dragged something out of me I’ve been trying to keep buried for years. Not healed. Not resolved. Just buried. An old wound I never learned how to clean, much less heal. I guess childhood trauma is the closest name I can give it, though even that feels too small for something that has been haunting me for months now, bleeding into my sleep, into my days, into everything.


I didn’t ask for these memories back. I already have enough noise in my head. But here we are.  

 


When I was ten, I loved something for the first time. Not the kind of love people laugh off as childish or temporary. I mean the kind that makes a lonely kid feel like the world isn’t entirely against him. I got a pet dog I named after some telenovela character, hoping that giving her that name could promise her the same kind of beautiful tv ending she so much deserved. Spoiler alert: it didn’t. Not even close.


I was a quiet kid. Not hated, not loved, just invisible. The kind you don’t notice unless you’re looking for someone to ignore. No real friends. No one who stayed.


Except her. She stayed.


She didn’t need explanations. She didn’t ask me to be anything else. She just chose me. And somehow, that was enough to keep me from completely falling apart, even before I understood what “falling apart” meant.


And then they took her.


Not gently. Not accidentally. They decided it. People who were supposed to be family, people who should have known better AND should have done better, killed her over some backward, brainless superstition. That’s what they called it, like giving it a name made it less disgusting. Like ignorance deserves forgiveness.


It doesn’t.


I was there. I remember.


And I did nothing.


That’s the part that eats at me. Not just what they did, but what I couldn’t do. I was ten and that doesn’t change the fact that I watched something I loved die, because I couldn’t stop it. I couldn’t protect her. I couldn’t even try hard enough, not in any way that mattered.


So I always find it hard to “be kind to my younger self.” It just doesn’t land. Because all I can think about is how she cried, and how I stood there, useless.


That was my first heartbreak. Not the dramatic kind people post about. But surely the kind that sits in your chest and never leaves. The kind that rewires you.


Something in me snapped that day. And it didn’t snap clean. It splintered. It twisted the way I see trust, love, loyalty, all of it, all at once. It left me with this constant, simmering anger that never really burns out. It just stays. 


There are things I’ve done in my head because of it. Things I would never admit out loud anywhere else. Anger that ugly that doesn’t just disappear but looks for somewhere else to go. And sometimes it goes to places that scare even me.


People love saying time heals everything. That’s a lie. Time doesn’t heal everything, it just makes you functional enough to pretend it did.


I carried that day with me for years until I found the perfect opportunity to leave. At fifteen, I got out, went to college, and cut that place out of my life. I thought distance would fix it. I thought leaving was the closest thing to justice I’d ever get, since forgiveness was never on the table.


But I was wrong.


Because here I am, years later, in a completely different place, on the other side of the world. But all it took was some statue to bring it all back like nothing ever changed.


Maybe this is the price of holding on. Of letting anger root itself so deeply it becomes part of who you are.  And this is my personal (dark) Roman Empire.


___________________________________________________


You were never replaced. 


Not once. 


Not ever.


It’s 2:30 AM now. And I can still hear you. Clear as the day it happened. And it makes me sick how something that old can still hurt this much.