24 December 2022

Florence + the Cuisine

 

Firenze, Italia | Dead-tired from the tough journey spanning countless hours on the road, from Lyon to Genoa to Pisa, and finally to Florence, I still managed to see Florence’s enchanting beauty that night. That devil called laziness wanted the best of me but I refused; It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, but managed to ultimately shake it offI mustered the strength to get pass of whatever exhaustion I felt that day and embraced Florence’ entirety mainly because I didn't have a choice. I only had one night, so it was basically a case of now or never. I ventured through the winding streets in twinkling lights, inhaling the crisp winter air infusing my spirit with awe and wonder.

 


Yearning to pay homage to Michelangelo, I hurried towards the museum, only to discover its looming closure within a mere half-hour. It turned out as the biggest what-if of my Florentine sojourn, truly an opportunity missed. I thought of having another pizza to compensate for the disappointment so I continued to walk until I found what seems to be a traditional/local restaurant, just as I needed.

 


I checked in at this random restaurant unprepared for a culinary journey that would redefine my palate. Florence, a city steeped in gastronomic prowess unlike any other, unveiled some of its secrets that night, a symphony that blended tradition, passion, and artistry. I went for a hearty Tuscan soup brimming with beans, tomatoes, and verdant greens essences. The bistecca alla Fiorentina was clearly the night’s winner! bacio dello chef 👌🏻👨‍🍳And how could I forget the divine pappa al pomodoro, very comforting against the chilly evening. Come un'esplosione di delizie, Florence's cuisine enchanted me beyond measure.

 

After dinner, I went out for a long walk as the air thrummed with a unique energy — it was Christmas undeniably. The historic Piazza del Duomo stood adorned with a majestic Christmas tree. The fragrance of roasted chestnuts and mulled wine permeated the air. Locals and visitors alike gathered in the heart of Florence to revel in the city's cherished Christmas traditions. It all felt like the right place at the right time. 

 


Leave all your love and your longing behind, you can't carry it with you if you want to survive. The next day, I understood the necessity to leave, yet a part of me lingered, yearning for more, but vowing to return. Until then I will dream of Florence and the lasting charm it so generously bestowed upon me and for everyone fortunate enough to experience it. The end of the night meant my sojourn in Florence drew to an abrupt close and a sting of regret washed over me. Sure, the trip had been cut short, prematurely severing this short thread of my Florence’ culinary odyssey.