Another day, the same city. That’s how academic life feels sometimes, as a perennial student (and as a student of life at that).
Lately, I felt stuck in an endless loop of lab, grocery, and home.
But not this time around.
- - -
When I first got the go-signal to attend a
scientific conference to present a part of my work (in Belgrade, no less), I didn’t know how exactly to feel. Conferences are a double-edged sword as they come with their own mixture of
stress and excitement. The rough preparations leading into it are the worst. Definitely not my forte, to say the least. But there was something gentler beneath it all. It's the
secret thrill of discovering a new place, experiencing a new culture, for free!
Fast-foward to 5 days after presenting to a roomful of peers and networking for science's sake, I finally hit the city streets. And boy, it did not disappoint. As in previous cases, the Balkans, with their storied lands and wallet-friendly offerings, are simply the best. Days gave way to discovery in its most delicious form, from trying out cevapcici, with silken kajmak, and a punch of ajvar, to exploring Zeleni Venac market, which offered a bounty of cherries munched atop the Kalemegdan hill, grounded by the view of two great rivers holding the city in their embrace.
The nights were equally just as good. Without set plans, I decided to join a pub crawl. Aside from the booze, we explored winding alleyways and unmarked doors for Belgrade’s underground scene. In the process, met fellow travelers from different corners of the world and heard & learned some of the most unexpected tales of travels, regrets, chasing music, of all sorts. Nightlife in Belgrade was truly a must-try.
Now back home, I think Belgrade might wait years for my return. But from now on, whenever life becomes a
blur of deadlines, I will surely remember the fortress, the rivers, the taste of
cherries at sunset, and the countless mugs of beer I drank during those days. Isn't that sweet?
