21 November 2020

Cloud At Last


24 November 2019 | A year ago, after a long break of being away from the wild, I finally found myself back in the outdoors through a guided leisurely trek up Mt Ulap (lit. cloud), which was a very good thing for my not so very good soul, long-time longing for some action.


I could no more remember the last mountain I climbed prior to this one. Makiling probably, but not certain. That which confirms my unproductivity outdoor-wise ever since I moved to Batangas City to pursue a job that called for huge flexibility & adaptation due to the erratic work schedule. Hence, the excitement level for this climb from my standpoint was sky-high. 

The day came and I was finally out there with the clouds. Unfortunately, instead of fully being in cloud 9, my mind was heavily clouded the majority of climb time. My thoughts haplessly wandered from things like which recovery meal to have after-hike interspersed in a random replay of events in an effort to try and figure out where I lost my headset back home and whether I was able to lock my apartment front door when I left. Then there also was this endless bouncing of thoughts in my head, a frictionless vacuum, in perfectly elelastic collisions, about  life  being a repetitive cycle.. i.e. Nietzsche's eternal recurrence, which loudly speaks volumes of how I badly needed this climb at that time.

What point am I trying to arrive at? Nothing really. I am just overly bored at the moment, Nietzsche sabotaging my being, stuck so hard in this pandemic without travel prospects in the near future, cluelessly lost on my academic career's loose ends, superlatively underscored by the uncertainty of my current job, floating along with the thought of unfortunately living in a country being run by clowns. 


Life is funny, isn't it? But the joke's on me.



Photo credit: K.Delgado