13 January 2013

Start of Something New


This first-time climb is my first attempt at making time matter -- by breaking that ice that freezes the hell out of me being caught in the house-work-house-work loop lately. Getting some fresh air outside feels like a good way to escape from the ironic monotony and rush brought by the boringly busy elbi life.

Overly fascinated with the thought of this something new, I barely had a good night's sleep the night prior. The excitement I wasn't able to contain gave me hard time having a good rest. Pictures of expectations were hopelessly cascading, flooding my dreamy subconscious, being hooked to that thought of finally climbing a real mountain. It felt like the trek has started for me during that night already. 

After nearly zero sleep, got up at 0300H, left the apartment at around 4 and grabbed some breakfast. Few rounds of jeepney rides and occasional power naps later, reached Cuenca Batangas where the mountain of interest calmly sits, mightily and eagerly waiting. 

The sun was already scorching hot when the climb began. Due to poor signs stationed along the way and miscommunication with the locals, we walked the wrong trail and nearly got lost. We had to go back to where we’ve started and start with the climb all over again. Thankfully, we were successful with the second attempt and the hike went smoothly from then on. In the end, I would say all expectations were met, exceeded even. 

Nothing beats catching some breath of fresh air with thoughts freely flying in unimaginable miles away. There is that unexplainable feeling up there and I wish to have more of it hopefully in my future hikes.  After few hours of lunch break, subtle rest, mandatory photoshoots, and quality moments at the Rockies, we prepared for the descent. As newbies, we opted not to traverse and just reserved it for next time which I think was a good choice.

This whole climbing thing sounds like a good start. As early as now, I wish I could find myself walking more trails in the near future. Way more mountains to go, as there are more uphill battles ahead.