10 January 2024

Düsseldorf’s plane trees: plein de beauté in plain mode

 

Hitting up the holidays fully in solo travel mode has amplified the deafening silence during the last few weeks, more so addressed the elephant in the room: that I am (in more ways than one) on my own now and that I need to come to terms with this fact sooner than later. I have been trying to cope and slowly getting there, I suppose. But overall, things are evidently much harder compared to how they were in the last 2 years (and all the years prior). The art of adapting is always hard to master despite my rich portfolio and long track record of frequent moving-outs. It takes a lot of patience and determination to be constantly and consistently motivated amidst the compounding effects of various factors from the weather & language barrier to the impending disaster posed by the phd challenge itself. And for that, I envy these Düsseldorf plane trees for a good reason, as they easily and effortlessly adapts through changing seasons, in style and poise, not to mention.



But if anything, this has further reaffirmed my independence; proving that I could indeed function, decide, and stand-by & accept the consequences of my choices. I guess being pulled out of that two-year old comfort zone is sad but is also freeing in some ways. So, cheers to moving forward! I wish we all achieve that tabula rasa of sorts that most of us aspire this new year!