28 December 2022

Form Follows Function

 

Vatican City | For a little over a year of wandering around the west and wild, eagerly looking for things I honestly don’t exactly know what, oftentimes lost like a puppy in the midst of big and busy streets, I somehow always end up finding myself in some corner fascinated over the littlest of things. Case in point: the details and intricacies in structures I chance upon to closely see during travels. 



This is quite a perk but at the same time curse for being an overthinker. I always find joy and comfort in weirdest of ways as getting lost in the moment, then capturing their beauties proudly screaming arts, histories, and strength. But oftentimes, I also wonder about the motivations and inspirations behind such masterpieces triggering the build up of unnecessary thoughts, clouding up my mind. Sometimes I couldn't help but feel so small, envy kicks in and slaps me with the truth of how insignificant I am upon realizing and recognizing the damn amount of creativity and talent I wish I had in my blood but could never be, at least in this lifetime. 


I had this particular episode upon getting foot and exploring the interiors of the massive St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican for the very first time. It put me in monumental state of awe, diverting my thoughts in the dangerously world of  architecture (being an archi hopeful once) upon remembering the decorated form follows function axiom by Louis Sullivan. I ended up spending the whole afternoon drowning in the depths of this thought. But still, did not extract satisfactory answers, until later that night. 

 


Infinitely curious, I did some further digging 👀. To put it simply, the form follows function concept traces back to Vitruvius who laid down the history and principles of classical architecture. He argued that form should be based on utility, strength, and simplicity, contradictory to the buildings (Catholic churches, especially) I encounter in Europe that come in grandiose intricacies, seemingly deviate, and downright disregard the rule. Something was quite not connecting. Should I have remembered my world history lessons, I could have been spared from these unnecessary thoughts. 


Google to the rescue, quick search suggests that the period in which these buildings were erected is the reason i.e. the birth of the Baroque Period post-Renaissance when grandiose works emerged. During this era, the concept of buildings in overwhelming splendor with grander and more dramatic ornaments was introduced, aimed at doubling down Reformation. Simply put, I was looking at two different truths (from two different periods). So, the next time I find myself drop-jawed over a bâtiment fabuleux et fantastique and start overanalyzing things, I'll take comfort in knowing that I will know more soon. It is alright not to find answers right away and learning or unlearning things comes with the process. We may be staring at the very thing we are supposed to see but fail to recognize it, as a lot of times we don’t know what milestones look like, and some gifts do not come exactly as we have imagined. But we find happiness, regardless. 


Hence, whether form follows function, or the other way around, or not at all, I guess doesn’t really matter. In the end, the right things fall in their rightful places, defying entropy at best, despite it not being thermodynamically-favored.