06 January 2023

LisBonne journée

 

Lisbon, Portugal | My visit to Lisbon was so good on so many levels. Nestled along the Tagus River, this capital of Portugal seamlessly weaves together historical landmarks, delectable cuisine, and a captivating yuletide ambiance that ensnared my senses from when I set foot upon its enchanting shores, on that beautiful December day.

 

Lisbon's Portuguese architectural influences served as a constant reminder of our shared heritage. Such historical significance was embedded within Magellan's daring odyssey, the esteemed Portuguese explorer whose path led to Philippine shores for a pioneering European voyage that betrayed our archipelago's embrace. All these brought me back in time to 20 years ago, sitting in my grade school classroom, learning about the facts and impacts of this point in history leading to the introduction of Christianity, the bloody battle in Mactan, and more.  Good  old times.

 

Meanwhile, unexpectedly so, Lisbon emerged as a sanctuary where I, some cold lost soul yearning for some Christmas warmth, found fellow Pinoy Erasmus scholars in this city. Amidst Lisbon's majestic attractions, bearing witness to Portugal's opulent heritage, I found a very good company, a source of home’s comfort. Embarking on a few trips around Lisbon, the spirit of Christmas resonated deep within: the luminescent streets, the iconic pastel de nata eliciting memories of our own beloved Filipino custard creations, the bustling Christmas market, and our improvised noche buena on Christmas Eve. Definitely, this trip not only allowed for an immersion in the city's captivating attractions but also gifted me with an enchanting Christmas experience, on top of building meaningful friendships. Beyond the sights that Lisbon had to offer, it was the people I had the pleasure of meeting, who brought that warmth of home I had been missing in the past months, enough to defy the cold in this European season.


Bonne journée tout le monde!